Heights Campus is home to nontraditional options in education for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. The educational programs at this school provide a personalized approach led by highly qualified teachers for students who prefer a unique classroom setting and a flexible and independent learning environment.
Historic photo of Lieser Elementary, circa 1944
Heights Campus (formerly Lieser Campus) is located on the property originally claimed in 1851 by Louis Lieser. During World War II, the federal government purchased most of the land. At the time, Louis Lieser’s great-grandson Miles Lieser still lived on a corner of the property.
Construction of a schoolhouse began in 1943 to accommodate the rapidly increasing wartime population of the McLoughlin Heights area, as well as the housing areas of Bagley Downs and Burton Homes, which were constructed for the influx of shipyard workers. The elementary school opened in 1944 and first-year enrollment exceeded 525 students.
The school was renovated in 1952 to include additional classrooms and a cafeteria.
The elementary school closed at the end of the school year in 1992 and the district moved early childhood education programs to the building.
1968—Lieser School inaugurates the first outdoor school program, which became the model for district-wide programs.
Spring 1992—Lieser Elementary School closes.
Fall 1992—Early Childhood Education Center moves from Bagley Center and opens at former Lieser Elementary School. The expanded program serves 3- and 4-year-olds in eight morning and eight afternoon classes. The Clark County Head Start program and Vancouver Children’s Therapy Center also provide services there.
2004—Vancouver Home Connection, a classroom-based parent-partnership program serving students in kindergarten through 12th grade, opens with 113 students. The program begins at the Jim Parsley Community Center and in fall 2012 moves to the Lieser Campus.
2009—Virtual Learning Academy opens and grows to 200 full-time students during its first year of operation. The program begins at the Jim Parsley Community Center and in fall 2012 moves to the Lieser Campus.
2012—Vancouver Home Connection is a recipient of the Washington State Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development’s Supported Students Award. The award is intended to recognize educator(s) who contribute to providing a school where students have access to personalized learning and are supported by qualified, caring adults.
2015—Open Doors, a free GED preparation and testing program offered through ESD 112 that prepares students to take the GED test by attending flexible class sessions, begins at Lieser.
2021—Lieser Campus becomes the Heights Campus.